NNDA July breakfast addresses Construction Workforce Development
July 11, 2017
The topic of the Northern Nevada Development Authority‘s July breakfast will be “Construction Workforce Development.” The breakfast meeting is scheduled July 26 from 7 – 9 a.m. at the Carson Valley Inn in Minden.
The lineup of speakers are:
- Aaron West, CEO for Nevada Builders Alliance, presents an overview of the state of Nevada’s construction industry, among the top 5 employers in the state. Nevada will need an additional 10,000 craft professionals across the construction spectrum to meet growing demand for workforce housing and the infrastructure and services for the influx of new business and industry in the state.
- Bill Miles, president and CEO of Miles Construction, speaks on building a strong organizational culture of “leveling up” for career path development through skills training and education to help employees grow from within.
- Georgia White, PhD, from Western Nevada College discusses the variety of pathways available to people who are just entering the profession and to those who wish to “level up” by earning advanced certifications and degrees. She will also provide a preview to WNC’s existing dual enrollment programs for high school students which laid the groundwork for SB 19 in the 2017 legislature.
- Teachers from Douglas High School’s Career and Technical Education program share success stories of high school students who have completed four-year programs in such disciplines as welding and engineering.
- Denise Castle, executive director for JOIN, Inc., talks about how they help people “level up” with educational and occupational training through federal Workforce Investment & Opportunity Act funding through Nevadaworks and the Nevada Workforce Investment Board. As a result, JOIN Inc.’s services are provided at no cost to its clients.
Tickets are $35. For reservations, go here.