SILVER SPRINGS - Art quilts crafted by Nevada residents are getting international exposure in the Nevada Art Quilt Competition 2000.
Chris Hansen of Silver Springs dreamed up the idea of putting on a quilt competition on the Internet and partnered with Judy Smith of Washington, D.C., and Sandra Sider of New York City to launch a virtual quilt show.
Nevada Art Quilt Competition 2000 opened May 15 on Smith's Web site, www.quiltart.com. The quilts will remain on display indefinitely.
The juried compeitions was curated by Sider, a curator from Sotheby's auction house in New York.
The winners were:
- First place: Linda McLaughlin of Reno for a quilt called "Woven Surprise."
- Second place: Anne Louise Mullard-Pugh of Las Vegas for "Betty Does Vegas."
- Third place: Sandy Lowe of Las Vegas for "Orient Express."
- Honorable mention: Anne McKenzie of Reno for "Daydreams."
- An invitational award went to Hansen for her entry, "Point of Departure."