Motorcyclist dies in hospital.

A second rider involved in Sunday's motorcycle pileup on Highway 50 died Monday morning after suffering an apparent heart attack.

Martin James, 47, of Silver Springs, was being surgically treated for a broken ankle at Washoe Medical Center when his heart stopped. Investigators are still waiting for a coroner's report, but James is believed to have had previous heart problems, said Nevada Highway Patrol Trooper Mark Zacha.

Thomas Anderson, 67, and Steve Henry, 45, both of Silver Springs, remained hospitalized Monday. They were among five people on three motorcycles that went down at 5:45 p.m. Sunday on Highway 50 at Mark Twain.

After being flown by CareFlight helicopter, Anderson was admitted to the intensive care unit at Washoe Medical Center where he remained in fair condition.

Henry, who was later cited for suspicion of drunken driving, was taken to Carson-Tahoe Hospital by an NHP trooper. He was admitted with multiple injuries including cuts and bruises and is listed in stable condition.

Katherine Benitez, 60, also of Silver Springs, died at the scene from a head injury. Katherine was a passenger near the back of the group when two motorcycles in front lost control.

Rider Rocky Dixon narrowly avoided the collision. He said the riders were disrupted when Anderson, who was not riding with the others, came from behind and rode through the middle of the group.

"He busted the pack, he clipped me and Martin got clipped," Dixon said. "He just cracked it on and wanted to get there faster than everyone."

Investigators have not charged Anderson with any crime. Speeds were estimated at high 60s to low 70s, according to Zacha, in an area with a 65 mph limit.

Zacha speculated that the accident may have been caused by wind gusts.

"Preliminarily we are saying that it involved high winds," he said. "It possibly could have caused the two to make contact, then go down, and the third hit from behind."

The riders were on their way back to Silver Springs from Virginia City, where they had gone after a fund-raiser at Deer Run Bar and Grill. The event raised money for 6-year-old Megan Clark, a Dayton kindergartner who suffers from cerebral palsy and cardiomyopathy. Organizer Mustang Sallie said 35 bikers came to the tavern to show their support.

"The biker community is devastated," Sallie said. "These people went out of their way to give this little girl some help, and then this happened.

"This is really bad. Now we are faced with two funerals."


Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Sign in to comment