Editor’s Note: This continues a series featuring the Appeal’s coverage of past Nevada Days.
Reprinted from the Nov. 1, 1946, Nevada Appeal:
Storey County is the proud possessor of a depot.
It is the historic Virginia and Truckee depot at Gold Hill, a Comstock landmark, and at one time one of the busiest depots in the United States.
The deed for the depot and the land surrounding it was presented to Storey County yesterday by Gordon Sampson, vice president and general manager of the V&T, at impressive ceremonies held in Carson City as a part of the Admission Day celebration.
Alan Bible, attorney general, accepted the deed on behalf of Storey County and commented on the historic significance of the occasion. George Salzman was master of ceremonies and presented several old-time employees of the railroad and also several old-time Comstockers.
The depot cost Storey County one dollar. But the one dollar was contributed by Charles H. Gorman, vice president of the university, who learned telegraphy at the Gold Hill depot and was the dispatcher there many years ago. On his behalf his brother, Frank Gorman, presented the one dollar to Mr. Sampson. It was an 1891 dollar minted in Carson City, and was attached by a chain to a silver plaque properly inscribed.
As a climax to the ceremony while the Reno high school band played the national anthem, a tattered flag with but 42 stars was raised on the platform. It was the same flag that was flown at the depot back in the 1890s.
Storey County, aided by the Virginia City Chamber of Commerce, will preserve the depot and use it as a display room for historical relics and documents.