July 7, 1953: Street names to be changed to avoid confusion
Elimination of First, Second, Third, Fourth and Fifth avenues in the north end of town by giving them the same names as the corresponding streets on the west side of Carson Street passed at the regular meeting of the city trustees last night without comment or protest.
The change will eliminate the present duplication of First and Fifth streets in the south end of town. New names will be: First Ave. to Washington St., Second to Ann, Third to Sophia, Fourth (Dayton Highway) to William, and Fifth to John. All of these will be East; it will further be necessary that residents on the presently-named streets use West in their addresses after the new ordinance takes effect.
Included in the change is renaming of Curry-Ormsby Street to Curry for the entire length.
Another change is to rename Henry St. to Fleischmann Way in memory of the late Maj. Max C. Fleischmann, civic benefactor.
This continues the Appeal’s review of news stories and headlines during its Sesquicentennial year.