5 tips to get your Tahoe home ready for the market this spring
Special to the Sun-Bonanza
With spring only a month away, now is the perfect time to start preparing your house to sell.
According to the National Association of Realtors, the most popular months for new listings are April, May and June. Therefore, start preparing your house now, and you will be ready to place your home on the market early spring, which can help you get a jump start on the competition.
Here are five helpful tips:
1. Interview Real Estate Professionals: If you are planning to work with a Realtor and do not already have someone in mind, interview 2-3 professionals to determine the best fit for you. Additionally, you may need to hire a landscaper, and/or handyman, so begin asking around for referrals. Remember, it cost less to fix repairs before a formal inspection.
2. Consider a Professional Inspection: It is well worth having an inspection completed prior to selling your home. This way, you are well-prepared and will know if you have any additional repairs to make.
3. Plan and Implement Simple Upgrades: Improving the quality of your house in an effort to achieve the best offer possible can be as simple as adding plants to the yard, fixing a fence, or painting. No matter which upgrades you choose, they all will work together to make your house even better than it is now.
4. Focus on Curb Appeal: Some buyers make their decision before entering the house, so boost your curb appeal! Even though it is still winter, you can take advantage of those warmer days to attend to overgrown bushes, and check shutters and window trim. Make sure your address is clearly visible, and that window coverings are hanging evenly. Also, accessorize by adding a brass knocker, a new mailbox or decorative house numbers.
5. Prepare Yourself: Carefully consider how much time and money it will take to bring your home to market. Write up a timeline, prepare a realistic budget for repairs and upgrades, and keep an eye on your competition. If you select a Realtor in advance, he or she can help you prioritize your list and make key decisions.
Remember — the better prepared you are, the more enjoyable the home selling experience will be for you and your family.
Avis Cherry is President of the Sierra Nevada Association of REALTORS and is a REALTOR with Charles Kitchen Realty in Carson City. Visit snar.org to learn more.
In Reno, Amazon opened a new 140,000-square-foot delivery station at 9740 N. Virginia St. in October; a second building for handling large products under the company’s “AMXL” division is planned for 2021 at 1316 Capital Blvd.