Final phase of Pyramid/McCarran project begins tomorrow
September 4, 2017
The RTC has begun the final phase of construction for completion of the Pyramid/McCarran Intersection Improvement Project. The project has been under construction for the past year and a half and is ahead of schedule. The project, which was originally planned to be completed in spring 2018, will now be completed and open in October 2017. Crews are working multiple shifts and weekends to complete the project. Upcoming construction operations will require multiple lane closures throughout the project corridor to complete median islands, final asphalt paving, and permanent striping.
On Friday, Aug. 25 at 9 pm, the Pyramid/McCarran intersection will be closed to all traffic through Sunday, Aug. 27 at 6 a.m. The closure is needed for the safety of construction crews and drivers as construction crews will pave up to 10 inches of asphalt during this marathon weekend work. "We appreciate the public's patience and understanding as we work to deliver this project ahead of schedule and on budget," said Brian Stewart, RTC Director of Engineering. The following detours will be in place during the weekend:
Pyramid Way and McCarran Blvd. intersection alternate routes:
- Traveling southbound on Pyramid Way to westbound McCarran Blvd. Free right ONLY at McCarran Blvd.
- Traveling southbound on Pyramid Way to eastbound McCarran Blvd. and I-80 use Disc Drive and followdetours.
- Traveling northbound on Pyramid Way to Disc Drive and Spanish Springs follow detours to Sparks Blvd.
- Traveling eastbound on McCarran Blvd. use Rock Blvd. and follow detours.
- Traveling westbound on McCarran Blvd. use 4th Street to York Ave.Detour signs will guide drivers around the work zone. Drivers can expect up to 30 minutes delay and at times heavy congestion through the detours. Sections of the intersection may reopen as early as Saturday evening.
Burning Man attendees should use I-80 east to Wadsworth prior to the intersection reopening. All businesses in the Sparks Mercantile are open- access will be maintained at Roberta Lane and McCarran Blvd.
This work is part of an overall project to enhance safety and mobility at the intersection of Pyramid Way and McCarran Boulevard. This project represents a $72 million investment for the region. When finished, a new through lane will be added to Pyramid in each direction and dedicated turning lanes will be added to both Pyramid and McCarran. The project also includes: decorative walls, new landscaping and a paved multi-use path that's ideal for bicyclists and pedestrians. This project will also contribute to cleaner air by reducing idling vehicles and easing congestion. Granite Construction is the local contractor constructing the project.
Businesses in the area remain open and accessible throughout construction. Enter to win a gift card to the business of your choice near the project area on the project website. Sign up for updates on the Pyramid/McCarran Intersection Improvement Project (PMIIP) by going to pyramidmccarran.com or text PMIIP to 797979.