NEWS BRIEF: ElectraTherm partners with U.S. Navy
January 11, 2018
ElectraTherm, a Reno-based company that captures waste heat and distributes it for power generation, is working with the Office of Naval Research, Creare LLC and the U.S. Naval Academy (USNA) to demonstrate gas turbine waste heat recovery as part of a Small Business Innovation Research project.
The demonstration will take place at the USNA in Annapolis, Md., to prove the potential for waste heat recovery onboard ships.
At the USNA, the Power+Generator will capture the waste heat from an existing helicopter turbine used to train the USNA Midshipmen, using a custom designed exhaust gas heat exchanger provided by Creare. The 390 HP helicopter turbine's exhaust will be converted to hot water – the fuel for the ElectraTherm ORC and the Power+ Generator will convert that exhaust into approximately 50kW of gross power.
Funding for the project is provided by the Office of Naval Research and the Office of the Deputy Assistant Secretary of Defense for Operational Energy. Visit electratherm.com to learn more.
Trending In: News Briefs
- Reno’s Shoppers Square: Summer 2018 upgrades decades in the making
- Despite Sears, Toys ‘R’ Us closures, Northern NV retail market forges ahead
- Reno-Sparks sets record at $375,000 for median home prices in March
- Need for Reno-area big box space key focus in tightening industrial market
- ICYMI: Top 40 Sierra Nevada Powerful Women finalists