Ron Bliss: Affordable Care Act throws new wrinkle into tax returns

This is tax season and as you prepare your taxes or have someone else prepare your taxes, you’ve noticed there is a new wrinkle – the need for Form 1095 to indicate whether you had health insurance coverage in 2015.

If you went through the Marketplace, it will come in the form of a 1095-A. It it was a non-Marketplace plan, you will receive a 1095-B and it will come from your insurance company. If you have insurance through your job, they will provide you a 1095-C.

Some tax preparers are not familiar with the IRS rules involved in the Affordable Care Act, but the agents at Affordable Healthcare Pros are and can advise you if you feel you are having to pay too much.

If you are not happy with the amount you have to pay on your return, come see us for a second opinion. It could save you hundreds of dollars.

Rebecca Montero, of our office, has been preparing taxes for 20 years and understands how the system works.

You can reach her at our office at 775-883-3414 or come by and see us at 2307 N. Carson Street in Carson City.

We also continue to assist those with Qualifying Life Events (QLE) get insurance. Anyone who has lost coverage – be it from Medicaid, a job change or moving from state to state – has 60 days from the time they lost their coverage to get new coverage. We can help you both on the Federal Marketplace or off the exchange. We do insurance for individuals in both Nevada and California.

If you have a QLE, call us at 775-224-7169, 775-450-6769, 775-338-3647 or call our office number of 775-883-3414.

Ron Bliss is a former long-time sports writer who has been doing health insurance since 2009. He is certified on both Covered California and the Nevada Health Link and can sell products on and off both exchanges. Affordable Healthcare Pros also offers a variety of dental plans to include dental-vision-hearing plans in both states, as well as a wide variety of Medicare supplements and other health supplemental products to include critical illness, short-term care, disability, plans to cover in-home or nursing home costs, accidents and hospital indemnity policies.


Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Sign in to comment