150 Years Ago
St. Charles Hotel: George Tufly is having work done that deserves special mention. He is having a substantial drain, or sewer constructed along the Third Street side to effectively convey off the water from the canyon on the west side of town. Something ought to be done to prevent Second and King from becoming regular sluiceways. Tufly deserves a vote of grateful acknowledgments of an admiring community of fellow citizens.
130 Years Ago
Advertisement: “Yank’s Hotel, Lake Tahoe, Cal. — Board: $12 to $14 per week. Hunting and fishing — Boats — Good camping grounds — The hotel is situated half a mile from his former hotel, the Tallac House. Carriages can be had to drive to all of the adjacent lakes. E. Clement, Proprietor.”
110 Years Ago
Film: At the Park Theatre the principal film will be the “Little Cut-up.” It requires a whole film for its reproduction and is said to be very funny.
70 Years Ago
Advertisements: “Carson Theater” — ‘The Return of Rusty’ — A human interest story of a boy and his dog — Also ‘Col. Effingham’s Raid’ with Charles Coburn and Joan Bennett.”
50 Years Ago
WAVE Report: Mary Ann Mahan, photographer’s mate, reported for duty at the U.S. Naval Reconnaissance Center in Maryland. Miss Mahan is the daughter of Captain and Mrs. D. L. Mahan. She attended Photographers’ School at Pensacola, Fla.
20 Years Ago
Photo, Then and Now — Bender House: The house was named for an 1874 owner who was an agent for the Virginia & Truckee Railroad. Pictured are Carson High School graduates who enjoy the cool shade circa 1895. The home is one of Carson City’s historic structures, located at 707 W. Robinson and part of the Kit Carson Trail.
Sue Ballew is the daughter of Bill Dolan, who wrote this column for the Nevada Appeal from 1947 until his death in 2006.
Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.
Sign in to comment