All Greater Nevada Credit Union and Greater Nevada Mortgage branches are once again inviting Northern Nevada residents to contribute to Greater Nevada’s Greater Giving donation drive.
All locations will be accepting donations of nonperishable foods, clothing and unused children’s toys from through Dec. 9.
“The Greater Giving drive is a vitally important part of our holiday season,” said Wally Murray, president and CEO of Greater Nevada, said in a statement. “Spreading the spirit of the season to those in our communities who may be less fortunate … is especially important in 2021, given the extraordinary challenges that many Nevadans have been faced with in the past two years.”According to a Nov. 1 press release, the 2020 Greater Giving campaign resulted in over 450 gallons of food, clothing and toys being donated to local families.Clothing and toys must be in brand new condition to be accepted; please check expiration dates of food items before donating. The most requested food items for local pantries include, but are not limited to:
Per the release, GNCU is partnering with several organizations for distribution, including the Food Bank of Northern Nevada, Friends in Service Helping (FISH), Renown Health’s Children’s Hospital, and Elko Harbor House. Go to GNCU.org/News to learn more.
- Canned meals: stews, soups, spaghetti/ravioli (low-sodium preferred)
- Protein: peanut butter, tuna, salmon, chicken, dried or canned beans
- Grains: whole-grain cereal, oatmeal, brown rice, whole grain pasta
- Fruits: canned (packed in 100% juice or light syrup), dried fruit, applesauce (no sugar added), 100% fruit juice boxes
- Vegetables: canned (no salt added and/or low-sodium preferred)
- Dairy: shelf-stable milk
- Kid-friendly snacks: granola bars, popcorn, animal crackers, graham crackers
- Baby products: formula, infant cereal, baby food