NCET Biz Tips: Optimized health for optimized success in your business

Lloyd Decker

Lloyd Decker

Small businesses employ over 40% of all the workers in this country. Furthermore, small businesses account for 99.9% of all businesses. That’s about 33 million businesses!

What is really interesting is that of all of those businesses about 80% of them have only one employee, and that one employee is the owner. Of the rest of the 20%, 16% have 1-19 employees. The reason I’m throwing all these stats out there is that I am emphasizing how important every person on a small team is to the business. Especially if you are the business owner and only employee. What happens if you own your own business that thrives or dies based on your success and you can’t work for a week or two because of your health? What happens to that business? In most cases production is going to go down.

What happens if you have a small team? What if a key team member has an injury and can’t work for a month? I bring this up because your health as an entrepreneur and you team’s health is more important than you may realize. I going to share a few ideas of ways to maximize your bodies potential so you can perform at your best in your business.
One of my favorite sayings after being in healthcare for 12 years is, “If you want your rocket to fly, you gotta fill it with rocket fuel.” This is how our bodies work their best. Food, water, exercise, and rest are the rocket fuel. What you are put in your body determines how much energy you have in a day, how much energy that you have to run your business, to spend time with you family, and to have some fun for yourself too. The more whole foods, including quality meats, fresh fruits and vegetables in your diet the better. Water is so important to compliment a healthy diet. I tell my patients to aim for 1 ounce for every pound of bodyweight. That means if you weigh 150 pounds, you should drink 75 ounces of water. That’s a little over half a gallon a day, totally do-able.
Movement and exercise are vital to our health as well. The term, “Move it or lose it” is true. Our bodies are made to move and they work better when we do. If we are sitting all day at work, we can develop bad posture that leads to tight muscles and if uncorrected leads to arthritis and degeneration. A sedentary lifestyle also leads to weight gain, vascular problems, and heart problems. No matter how busy you are, you have to find time to move. You will feel the results in your body and your mind. Exercise not only helps you stay fit, it helps you sleep better too.
The final point I want to talk about is being proactive about your health. Many of us have injuries in our lifetime. Sports, physical jobs and car accidents can all cause injuries. You don’t want these injuries to become your life story. When were young we tend to shrug them off. But what we know is these unresolved aches, pains, and imbalance can really become a problem later in life leading to arthritis and degeneration. What’s the best way to avoid this scenario? It’s to act now and do something about it so it doesn’t get worse.
In our practice, our mission is to help as many people as possible get their health back without unnecessary drugs and surgery. We offer solutions for joint pain, back pain, neuropathy pain. We also work with people to optimize their health with bio-identical hormone replacement, medical weight loss, and sexual health programs. I believe that when your health is optimized you and your business will flourish for many years to come. I’m excited to share more information with you at my presentation!
Learn about Optimized Health for Optimized Success in Your Business at NCET’s Biz Café on April 19th. NCET is a member-supported nonprofit organization that produces educational and networking events to help people explore business and technology. More info at
Lloyd Decker DC, has been in practice for 12 years, he moved to Reno in June of 2017 from Telluride, Colorado with his family. Dr. Decker realized that medical services in conjunction with chiropractic care and therapeutic modalities yielded the best possible outcomes for patients, and co-founded Reno Regenerative Medicine with his wife Bridget.


Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Sign in to comment