Preliminary hearing scheduled for Marines suspected in Gardnerville break-in, assault

Three U.S. Marines accused of attacking three Gardnerville men in a March robbery involving a small amount of marijuana are scheduled Tuesday for a preliminary hearing in East Fork Justice Court.

The hearing for U.S. Marines Jeffery T. Lee, 20, Kevin S. Wyckoff, 21, and Michael Wayne Huntington, 22, is set for 3 p.m. The trio remains in the Douglas County Jail on $50,000 bail each.

A fourth suspect, Rodolfo Pinmentel Jr., 20, was released April 12 on his own recognizance. He has a May 1 hearing. He was ordered confined to the Marine Corps base in Pickel Meadow.

Charges against a fifth Marine, Ashton N. Josephs, were dropped after investigators said he acted as a lookout, according to a sheriff's office report.

The March 31 incident happened about 8 p.m. inside a Gardnerville apartment on Stodick Parkway.

The three male victims, who were treated following the 10-minute fight, reluctantly told investigators the robbery involved marijuana, according to a sheriff's office report.

Victims told deputies they were watching television when they heard a loud knock at the door. Two Marines came inside. The victims knew the Marines from a party held there about a week prior to the incident.

Deputies said compact discs, a few grams of marijuana and about $80 were taken during the robbery.

A small baseball bat was allegedly used and Lee allegedly waved a pellet pistol gun to keep the victims in the apartment, according to the report.

After Pinmentel and Lee entered, two other Marines allegedly came inside and a 10-minute fight ensued.

The sheriff's office report stated even though neighbors said the "walls shook" and the fight was noisy, neighbors did not call 911. After the suspects fled, a victim called 911.

The five Marines left the scene in a black 1999 GMC Yukon with Texas plates. They were arrested at Family Housing in Coleville by Douglas County and Mono County, Calif., deputies.

The five Marines were all wearing blood-splattered clothing, according to a sheriff's office report.

One of the three victims was taken to Carson-Tahoe Hospital with head injuries. The other two voluntarily sought medical treatment for bleeding facial injuries.


Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Sign in to comment