Dayton man sentenced to prison



A 34-year-old Dayton man was sentenced Tuesday to two to five years in Nevada state prison for his third felony burglary conviction.

District Judge Tod Young told defendant Steven Queen it was his responsibility to seek treatment for drug addiction in prison, as well as when he is released.

Queen’s lawyer, Jamie Henry, had asked that Young order Queen into treatment upon his release, but the judge said he lacked the authority.

Henry said despite her client’s record, all he could talk about since his arrest for the latest offense was his “deep desire” to get help.

“He wants to try and make something of himself this time,” Henry said.

Queen had been out of prison for 16 months when he committed his latest offense, taking items from three stores between December 2012 and April.

Young ordered him to pay $1,090.94 in restitution upon his release.

“I know in my heart I am ready to change,” Queen said.

Young said Queen’s comment that he had never been offered rehabilitation was “fairly disingenuous.”

“Every day the sun comes up, you get to start over,” Young said. “You get ‘offered rehab.’”

He told Queen that most states offer free rehabilitation for indigent clients, but the defendant would have to seek it out.

■ Probation was reinstated Thursday for a 38-year-old Indian Hills woman who admitted selling methamphetamine in her neighborhood.

District Judge Tod Young told Paula Olvera that if she fails to complete court-ordered in-patient treatment, or participate in mental health and substance-abuse programs, he will send her to prison.

Olvera admitted several probation violations, including use of methamphetamine and failure to report to her officer.

Olvera’s lawyer, Erik Johnson, said his client had difficulty obtaining medication after she was cleared for a program, and didn’t go back.

She was sentenced to probation in May 2012 after pleading guilty to sale of a controlled substance. Olvera admitted five transactions with methamphetamine involving a confidential informant from Sept. 29-Oct. 25, 2011.

She was sentenced to 2½ years in prison, which was suspended. She then was placed on probation for three years.

Olvera’s lawyer said his client hoped to be admitted to mental health court in Carson City. Young ordered her to complete residential treatment of at least 28 days before she is released from custody and placed in a program.


Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Sign in to comment