Carson woman pleads guilty in DUI case

A 49-year-old Carson City woman pleaded guilty Tuesday to her third conviction of driving under the influence, and agreed to spend 60 days in Douglas County Jail before she is sentenced.

Ann Syphus-Freed told District Judge Tod Young she was under the influence of Lorazepam, methadone and methamphetamine when she was arrested on May 15.

She has two prior convictions in 2011, in Tahoe Township and East Fork Township.

In a plea agreement, Syphus-Freed agreed to plead guilty and complete 60 days in jail before sentencing.

The district attorney’s office agreed to dismiss additional charges, and not file an additional penalty because Syphus-Freed failed to appear for an Oct. 15 court appearance, and violated other pre-release conditions by using methamphetamine.

She may apply for a DUI diversion program if she qualifies; otherwise, she faces up to six years in prison and a $5,000 fine.

Syphus-Freed is ineligible for probation.

“You need to know I am well aware you blew us off and did not appear as ordered,” Young said. “If you don’t get on better footing, you’ve already demonstrated to us you’re not too reliable. It won’t be hard to put you in prison to protect the citizenry.”

A $10,000 warrant was issued for Syphus-Freed in October after she failed to appear in court.

Young set sentencing for Jan. 7.

■ A 46-year-old South Lake Tahoe woman pleaded guilty to embezzlement Tuesday, admitting she stole $130,000 from the Horizon casino at Stateline while she worked as the cage manager.

District Judge Tod Young set Ana Luisa Sanchez-Demarmolejo’s sentencing for Jan. 7.

According to a report from the Nevada Gaming Control Board, Sanchez-Demarmolejo admitted stealing the money from the casino safe in $1,000 and $5,000 increments. The crimes reportedly occurred between Jan. 1 and Sept. 21.

She faces up to 10 years in prison and a $10,000 fine.

According to terms of a plea agreement, the state will recommend Sanchez-Demarmolejo be sentenced to probation, and she promised to pay back the $130,000.

She reportedly told officials she had a gambling problem, and turned herself in because she felt guilty.


Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Sign in to comment