EDITOR'S NOTE: This is the fourth in a five-part series of profiles on Northern Nevada-area nonprofits and businesses who participated in the 2021 rendition of Northern Nevada GIVES: a guide to charitable giving and corporate philanthropy. Read all the profiles here
in a special section that published Nov. 24.
Terry Lee Wells Nevada Discovery Museum (The Discovery)
Address: 490 S. Center St., Reno, NV 89501Phone: 775-786-1000Website: nvdm.org Facebook: facebook.com/NevadaDiscoveryMuseum
Year Established Locally: Founded 2004. Opened to the public 2011.
Number of Local Employees: 14 full-time, 15 part-time.
Number of Local Volunteers: 100
Annual Revenue: $2.5 million
Mission Statement:We seek to inspire by being the place to experience science.
Our current five plan includes the following goals: launching a regional outreach program, achieving annual attendance of 300,000 visitor per year, becoming the recognized leader in STEAM learning in the region.
The Discovery hosts Chemistry of the Cocktail, its annual fundraising event each year in November. The event invites attendees to explore the science of mixology.
The Discovery offers a variety of rewarding volunteer opportunities. From greeting visitors, to helping present science demonstrations, to working behind the scenes, volunteering is a great way to get involved with northern Nevada’s only hands-on science museum.
As part of the museum’s 10th anniversary celebration, The Discovery is currently attempting to raise $100,000 by September 10, 2022. Details can be found at nvdm.org/10th.
Board of Directors:
- Mat Sinclair, President/CEO
- Stephanie D’Arcy, Chief Operating Officer
- Patrick Turner, Chief Advancement Officer
This content was provided and paid for by The Discovery.
- Stacy Kendall, Board Chair, Vice President, Client Engagement for Plumas Bank
- Sarah Porter, Vice Chair, Principal, Porterhouse Marketing
- Mike Heath, Secretary, Vice President, Relationship Management, Meadows Bank
- Kyle R. McCann, Treasurer, Managing Partner, Vantage Wealth Management
- Austin K. Sweet, Esq., Past Chair, Attorney, Gunderson Law Firm